Sunday 5 August 2007

Pregnancy Back pain



Answering "Help" - severe back pain in early pregnancy :



I am 6 weeks pregnant and last week I nearly passed out due to pains across my lower back, it was so intense I had to lay on the floor at work. I went to the doctors and he diagnosed me with a kidney infection and gave me pregnancy safe antibiotics.


The pain was still continuing and not lessening after id finished my 7 day course of antibiotics so I returned to the doctors who told me to go to casualty if I got the pain again. Soon after returning home I got the pains and went to the casualty at the hospital. They referred me to the gynaecology ward & took a blood and urine test & found no signs of a kidney infection and both tests were fine. They prescribed me some pregnancy safe painkillers and said that it was probably high hormone level or ligaments softening for pregnancy.

It has now been 9 days and I’m still suffering with such severe lower back pain that I cannot stand up when it comes, leave the house on my own, drive or go to work. The only symptoms I get are pain in my lower back that comes every 8-10 hours & lasts for about 15 minutes (no bleeding so not ectopic). I’m so upset and distressed now as I cant believe that the ligaments softening is so unbearably painful that I nearly pass out each time it happens and have to lay on the floor and I have no idea of how long this is going to last. The doctors aren’t very helpful either, as they haven’t given me any further medication or any definite answer of what it is. If this is "ligaments softening" has anyone had or heard of anyone suffering pain as severe as this? Please help because I’m at my wits end.


Little Lady one of the priorities of assessment of early pregnancy symptoms of pain and bleeding is to exclude an ectopic pregnancy, as it can result in loss of life. Traditionally, a history of pain disproportionate to bleeding with signs of pain on vaginal examination (cervical excitation) or reduced blood volume (hypovolaemia) will lead to a laparoscopy (See Gynaesurgeon.co.uk - Laparoscopy) to diagnose and treat the ectopic pregnancy.


Over the last ten years, the introduction of routine transvaginal scanning, rapid serum HCG estimation, combined with advances in laparoscopic surgery, has led to a major change in the way that we diagnose and treat ectopic pregnancy.

If the pain persists and you are distressed don’t think that all will work out! Please seek help, see a medical professional as soon as possible…GP ..

No comments: